web site is an ongoing research project. If you are aware of any
pictures pertaining to the Opera House please contact the Stage
Located in the
city of Albemarle, North Carolina, the Opera House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building,
built in 1907
by the contractor Locke Anderson Moody, is currently
owned by the descendants of the original owners, F.E. Starnes, D.F.
Parker and J.C. Parker.
The Opera House held performances from 1908 to 1913 then was converted to a movie theater for the 1914 and 1915 seasons.
seasons of disuse it became an annex
to the undertaker's shop that was next door.
years, employees at Starnes Jewelers have reported strange noises
emanating from the Opera House. Recently, a team from North Carolina
Paranormal Investigations made several visits to the building to
research these strange noises. Click on the 'Ghost' link to the left to
read about their findings.
Starnes Jewelers has been one of the businesses located
on the ground level of the building since it was built in 1907. For more
information about Starnes
to visit their website.